Sunday, May 4, 2014

Glad That's Over!

Spencer had his 6 year old check up this week. He's just under 4 feet (85%) and weighs 53 pounds (80%) His doctor gave him a clean bill of health and we had no questions or concerns so we were in and out pretty quick.  I did ask about an eye exam and when you typically should do that with kids and he said now would be an ok time to start.

While we were waiting for the doctor to come in the room I noticed Spencer had his collar popped on his shirt. Hoping he wasn't trying to follow the trends of middle schoolers already I asked him why his shirt was like that. He told me he thought it was cool because he looked like a vampire.


Our boys have TOO MANY TOYS! So I'm having them help me clear some of them out of the house. We had 3 piles. Keep, throw away and thrift sale. We had a hard time agreeing on the keep and the toss pile. Everything I thought they should keep they wanted to toss and the other way around.



April showers brings May flowers... well we will have fields of flowers with the amount of rain we've been getting. We are still trying to find indoor activities to fill our time. This day we spent it at the Giggle Factory and we brought our neighbor boy Chase with us.

Spencer had his first concert for school this week. I was so excited and he kept asking to wear a tie. He was thrilled that we were all going to come to his school and see him perform.

He looked so handsome! 

Grandma and Grandpa came up.


If one has their picture taken they all want their picture taken!



I posted this picture the other day with this caption: My Dear Easton, always remember through the smiles, fits, giggles, whines, the good times and hard that it's your mom that loves you the most.

 Sure are some handsome little dudes. I realize Ryan is missing from this picture but he had to work and we were meeting him at the restaurant. I was afraid they wouldn't be clean if I waited.


Spencer and his friends from pre-school. They've been together since about 6 months old!


Way to go Spencer we are so proud of how well you did in your concert!

















Apparently singing takes a lot out of a little boy!

My friend Renee from 6th grade is getting married this summer. I'm honored to be a part of her wedding. She was one of my maid of honors in our wedding. This weekend we had her wedding shower at my parent's house.

The bridal party!


It was finally time for the 1/2 marathon. I will fully admit my training going into the race wasn't great. My longest run was roughly 10 miles and I did it at the gym moving from the treadmill to the track. I know I'm not as in good of shape that I was a year ago. I can give you a 1,000 reasons why that might be but the truth is life just happens sometimes. I wish I could be a great runner but I just don't think that is my future. I want running to be something I do for fun. I enjoy going for runs with my friends, having Spencer tag along on his bike and I enjoy just having something that keeps me somewhat in shape or gives me that little mental break from the day..... So my race experience....

This was my post leading up to the race: If you see a girl on the side of the road tomorrow wearing this outfit and she appears to be dead it's me! Please drag my butt across the finish line. Thank you! Starting to feel sick to my stomach about tomorrow's race!


I looked over the map and we figured out where the best spots would be for everyone to see us. Only we didn't realize just how much the course had changed and so where I thought they would be we didn't even run past that area.

Renee agreed to do the race with me. 

I told both Renee and my sister to please not run with me. I knew in my heart this wasn't going to be a great run. I just didn't want to hold them back and I didn't want them to see me suffer!

Heather did great! In my eyes she is a great runner...


We finally made it to the front and we were off! All smiles here. Man I look awful while running.

Just about to head down the hill that I swear we spend the whole race working our way back up!

I was thrilled to see my boys at the start. They had signs and they were ready to cheer me on! I was feeling great!

Waiting for me can take awhile... I'm not a very fast runner!


Heather looking strong....


Me looking weak and defeated. Because I was! My left hip and knee were really starting to bug me at this point. I already had to walk a little bit leading up the 6th mile. I even took a minute in my slow run to text Ryan I wanted him to take me home and that I didn't want to finish.

I knew my boys were proud though to see their mom running. I just kept telling myself "If I quit they won't see me finish and I want them to be proud of me."


Onto the next stop waiting for me some more! I loved seeing them so many times a long the way!

Yup I'm starting my slow painful death at this moment. I hear people get really excited and start cheering and I thought "wow way to be supportive fans cheering." I then realized I was being passed by a marathon runner. Ugh, talk about taking the wind out of my sail!


My friend Amanda who ran with me last year always says "run to the Dairy Queen" it's towards the end of the race. So in my slow run I snapped a picture of it for her. It's way back in the distance. 

Finally I saw this! It seemed everyone around me was struggling to finish. There was a lot of trotting, walking, stretching along the way just to keep our bodies moving. I cried a few tears because the pain in my knee and hip were so bad. Ryan ran up the final hill with me at the end of the race for encouragement. He kept saying "you got this, the boys are waiting for you, you're almost done." He was being so supportive and all I could do was yell "Shut Up!" I was trying to give it everything I had but honestly it sucked! Heather even came running (see she's a great runner she can still run after running 13.1) and ran by me at the end.

 Finally! The moment I had been limping towards! The finish line!


Yay!!


and....I'm DONE! 

Way to go Heather! I'm so proud of how well you can run and you are my inspiration.



I was so happy to see the boys at the end. I was so happy they also got to see their mom finish! I just needed to sit down!

These guys are great. They did marathon as the relay team. They ran their portions of the race with their fire gear on! Impressive!

So the question is will I ever run a half again. Ugh I don't know. Never say never. I need to do something this fall that is either a 10 mile run or a 1/2 or something just so that I can prove to myself again that I can do it. I walked WAY too much in that race that I don't even feel like I can say I ran a 1/2 marathon. Maybe I ran 10 mile and walked 3.1. So we shall see but first I need my body to recover. I'm having a really hard time walking tonight. The best part though and the part that makes me so proud is watching the boys tonight wanting to run laps around the house like they were in race. 

My time: I finished in 2:25. It's not horrible but I was slower last year when I finished it in 2:12. I guess maybe there will be a next year. Or I will just plan to do the 5k.

No comments: