Monday, September 6, 2010

7th Anniversary!


Spencer always wants Easton to play with him on his bed.

Easton now gets to sit in the ring for bath time.


To start the week the boys and I took a long walk to the park. Spencer played on the toys while Easton played on a blanket. I pushed both boys in the swing before heading back home. Both boys love the swings.


Monday night Heather and I met some friends downtown for dinner before heading to the Lady Gaga concert. I thought the concert was great and very entertaining. I only know about a hand full of her songs but knew she would put on a great show and she didn’t disappoint. Neither did the fans or “little monsters” as she calls them.


I posted on Facebook this week that I was keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for good news. This was because we had a doctor appointment for Easton on Tuesday. It wasn’t for anything serious or life threatening, but I have a lot of mommy guilt and I don’t really like talking about it too much. The right side of Easton’s head is flat. I made a point when we brought Easton home that I was going to reposition him often and I would NEVER let his head get flat. Spencer was flat but it rounded out and after watching my sister go through the helmet with Finley I knew that was something I just didn’t want to have to deal with. Well, I must not have been as good about repositioning as I thought because his head still got pretty flat on the right side. When I brought him in for his 6 month check up the doctor and I were talking about his head. She admitted to me that she thought his head was pretty flat before (why she never bothered to say anything to me about it makes me even more annoyed with her!). She felt though that his head was going to round out but that if it was still looking flat by 9 months that she would refer me to the helmet doctors. I know from reading and with Finley that 9 months is getting to late so I called the next week for the referral. Since Easton was already coming up on 7 months they squeezed us in on Tuesday.

The whole experience was very weird. We checked in and had to go the room to get him weighed and he’s up to 19 pounds. We waited in a general waiting room until they called our name and told us to go to blue-2. I guess at this clinic a nurse doesn’t room you, you room yourself. After we waited for a few minutes a nurse came in asked a few questions and gave me a form to fill out. Next the doctor came in with his PA. He put his hands on Easton’s head and then had him turn his head in different directions. He didn’t have the torticolis that often goes a long with having a flat spot. He then told me he had a very MILD case of the really long medical word for "flat head." He told me about the helmet treatment and what all it would include and then asked if I had any questions. I thought it was very odd that they didn’t take any scans or measurements of his head. I asked the doctor if he would do treatment and his response was “I can’t tell you that.” I said I wasn’t ready to make the decision and asked if his head would round out more if we didn’t do treatment and he said “yes.” He also told me that if I thought we were going to use the helmet that we needed to decide sooner rather then later because we are running out of time. After he left, the PA stayed a minute to look at Easton’s head. I asked her what she would do and again she responded "I can’t tell you that." I asked again if his head really was mild and she agreed that he was in the very mild class. I was pretty annoyed with the lack of help I was getting with a big decision. I pretty much had made my mind up that I wasn’t going to do treatment and that I would just hope his head would round out more or that he will be blessed with a full head of hair and that he never loses it! I returned to work and ran into one of our doctors who has the same last name as the doctor we saw the day before. I asked if they were brother’s and they are. We talked about the helmet and he made me feel better about my decision to not do the helmet. The doctor I work with was very helpful! So for now we are continuing to put Easton down on his left side for naps and bedtime and during the day I don’t let him lay on his back to play. He’s either sitting, standing or on his belly.

Today, Monday September 6th is our 7th wedding anniversary! Wow, so much had changed in 7 years. To celebrate I was thinking about going somewhere tropical but settled for a weekend in Chicago. To my surprise the weekend was way better then what I was expecting it would be. We left Saturday morning, stopped in the Dell’s to shop the outlets and then stopped for lunch in Madison. Ryan’s mom and dad joined us for a quick visit. It was nice to be able to see them on our way through. We spent the rest of the weekend going out for nice dinner’s where we were able to take our time and actually talk through dinner instead of trying to eat as fast as we can while keeping two kids entertained. I surprised Ryan with tickets to the Cubs game. He was shocked and had even made a comment in the car to me on our way down “you would never get me tickets for something like that.” Little did he know I already had them in my bag. We walked Michigan Avenue and Navy Pier. We were also able to catch up on so much needed rest! We both missed our boys like crazy. At one point last night I said to Ryan “I just want to hold someone’s baby because I miss our little boys so much.” I didn't take many pictures but here are the few that we did take.....

The view from our room.

View from our seats.

The only picture we took of us!


I would like to think that the boys missed us a ton. I’m sure they were too busy though to realize we were even gone! Here are the pictures Auntie sent and that my mom took of them while we were gone.

The boys went to coffee.....

Then cheered for the runners in the buck shot...

Auntie got to feed our messy eater....

They played with Grandpa's toy boat...

Even Easton got to take a bath with the big boys...

They all went for a train ride in carson park.

Spencer was Grandpa's helper.....

They went for a boat ride to watch the ski sprites....

No comments: