This picture above is a small example of something that has had us concerned about Spencer's learning at school. I first want to remind you that when he started school last year he had a crappy teacher. She was gone most of the year with random subs teaching the class. At the start of this year we had to over come a few obstacles as he was adjusting to what it really meant to be in a regular classrooms. I have a feeling they didn't have very many rules to follow the first year. When we met with his teacher at the fall conferences she suggested that Spencer might benefit from extra reading help. She recommended that he work with some of the reading specialists. He wasn't an awful reader but he was struggling. Ryan and I have often noticed that his numbers and sometimes letters are always flipped when he writes. Example of that would be the S up in his name in the picture. We've heard it can be very normal for this age, I just thought half way through the year we should be seeing a big change in his learning and it's been a struggle. It's even been a struggle to get him to want to go to school and do his homework. I reached out to his teacher to see what her thoughts were. We have conferences coming up in a week and she was hoping to go over things then. In the meantime I had him at the eye doctor to have his eyes tested. I though maybe he was struggling seeing the words on the page. His vision was 20/20. I discussed my concerns with her and she suggested having a Visual Processing Evaluation done. This test for multiple areas including:
- Letter Reversal Frequency (confusing b,d,p,q)
- Visual Sequential Memory
- Eye Tracking (related to skipping and re-reading)
- Visual Motor Integration (copying/written work)
- Visual Processing Speed (ability to perform a visual task in an acceptable time frame)
- Dyslexia Testing
After talking with his teacher about what we were having done she told me that her concern was that Spencer might be dyslexic. We won't know the results of the testing until the 19th. I have mixed feelings about all of this. No one wants there to be something abnormal about their kids but at the same time if a diagnosis like this will get him the help he needs and there are things we can do to help him learn then I welcome it because as a parent its hard watching your kid struggle. I will keep you all posted as we learn more.
On to more happier stuff. It was finally time. We've been counting down the days since we booked our first ever friend/adult only vacation. We loaded up our car bright and early on Wednesday and we were on our way to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Traveling with us were 3 other couples. We are all neighbors on the same cul-de-sac and between the 8 of us we have 10 boys and no girls. A much needed get away!
We were all settled in for the 5 hour flight!
We checked into our room….
Our room was on the ground level with a great view of the pool.
The first few days the beach was disgusting. It was full of brown seaweed. I had heard that it's been an unusual year for seaweed and they were actively working to haul it all out.
Then one day we went to the beach and it was perfectly clear. It was the strangest thing how the seaweed seemed to move up and down the beach and how some days it would be thick and others there was none.
I made my first beach purchase…
Ryan and Chris were determined to try all 24 drinks on the resort dink menu, which they accomplished in less than a day and a half!
Our resort was beautiful…
We have never stayed at an all inclusive and it was nice not having to worry about carrying money around and that it was all you can eat and drink!
Our friends taught us a very interesting card game. I think we all entertained the people around us more as they were trying to figure out what we were doing.
Ryan and I definitely enjoyed our time away. It was nice to be on our own agenda and not have to worry about the boys. Of course we missed them and talked about them often.
Here are all the guys…...
And here are all the ladies…..
Nightly dinner picture..
Good morning sunshine. It was so nice to finally feel the warmth after freezing these past few months in Wisconsin.
We talked to the boys often to see how they were doing. They were having a lot of fun with Grandma, Auntie and Grandpa. I'm pretty sure they didn't want us to come home as they were having fun being spoiled by everyone.
I had my first ever fancy drink in a pineapple. I have to say I could live a happy life if I never have one again. Pineapple isn't really my thing.
We really like the hibachi grill. In fact we made sure to eat there a second time before heading home.
There was always nightly shows and this night it was a Michael Jackson tribute concert.
This just leads to nothing good.
Our weather wasn't perfect while we were gone. It seemed to rain every night during the night but also a couple of days there was some overcast along with some rain. So we stayed busy playing Blokus on the beach. I'm officially hooked!
Checking in on the boys before bedtime.
We are going to miss having our nights out in this lobby bar before dinner.
The last show was a Circus theme.
Enjoying a few more hours of sunshine before leaving the resort.
Luckily we saw the icky things at the end of the week. This is a large snail!
We also found these little eggs all over the sand that were washed up on shore. I'm still not sure I want to know what they are.
We were welcomed home with a great surprise. Grandma had done a complete make over on our master bedroom and the boys left us valentines on our bed. It was such a nice welcome home present and we couldn't have been happier to be home.
We are already planning our next trip. We found a website with the top 15 places to go in the Caribbean and we think it would be fun to go to them all. :)
Grandma sent me a few photos of the boys during the week. She wanted me to see they were up and ready for school on day one.
It was a late start for Spencer so they practiced reading over donuts.
They maid valentines…
She also took Easton and Nolan to the mall for the rides.
While we were gone the boys got a special gift from Mike, Suzie, Peter and Simon to get them ready for Cancun. We love the new swim suits! Thank you Suzie! You have great taste.
I have to stop for a min and say a big thank you to my mom for taking such good care of our boys while we were gone. We never worried about them once. I know taking care of the 3 of them can be challenging and tiring at times but they had so much fun spending the one on one time with you.
The boys all had school the day after we got home but I was lucky to spend some time with them in their class rooms celebrating Valentine's days.
I also stopped and had lunch with Spencer. The unpacking could wait… I just missed the boys!
Grandpa John and Grandma Julie sent us chocolate covered strawberries. They were delicious.
Ryan took the boys to the MN Swarm lacrosse game. It was the first time Nolan has gotten to go with the big boys and he was so excited. He has been talking about the game non stop since. He keeps asking, "Can we go to another game of 'crosse?" It's pretty cute!
This Saturday it was the last day of hockey for Easton. It was the moms vs kids game to end the season. They boys think it's funny to see me skate. I think if we own a sporting goods store its time I get a helmet that fits and my own stick!
They played the national anthem….
Easton scored 2 or 3 goals.
I was yelled at a few time to keep 2 hands on my stick.
We lined up to say good game..
Hockey moms are the best!
Easton got his end of the season medal… which he had been waiting all season for!
We went bowling as a family for Valentine's day. The boys love bowling.
This is what I get when I ask to take their picture...
At least Spencer will smile with Ryan.
Spencer and Easton loved helping Nolan bowl.
Can you feel how much my boys love me?!






























No comments:
Post a Comment