Tuesday is a day I will never forget. It's the day the boys and I were in a car accident. It had snowed the night before and was starting to warm up so to me it just seemed the roads were wet. I had an appointment in Eau Claire and Ryan was home sick with the flu and the cleaning lady was coming so we needed to get out of the house. I had plenty of time so I wasn't rushing or speeding (we all know I tend to have a lead foot).
We were just over half way and I was traveling in the right lane when a car zoomed passed me in the left. I stepped on my breaks a little to try and slow down because it seemed to be a bit more slippery. That's when I hit a patch of ice. My car started to fish tail and I kept waiting for the tires to hit road again and straighten out. Well instead we started to spin. We spun over to the side of the road and went into the ditch. The ditch was pretty deep so we started to roll right away. My reaction was to scream and reach back to try and help my boys. My fear was that I was going to turn around and I would watch the roof of my car cave in on the boys and there would be nothing I could do. We rolled one full time and landed back up right. After the car stopped moving I waited to watch Easton move (he wasn't crying or making any noise) and I saw him move his arms and legs so I knew he was alive. Spencer had a very scared look on his face and started to freak out when he asked "what happened?" I know because I was crying and scared that he was feeding off of me. I tried to keep my emotions in check. I reached for my phone and called 911 right away. While I was on the phone a random guy came down to see if we were okay. I told him we were all fine. The police told me someone would be on their way. While I waited I called Ryan and my dad. The first thing I said was "we are all ok, but we were just in a roll over accident on the interstate." I was pretty emotional and finally my dad firmly said through the phone, "Heidi you need to stop talking. I will ask you the quesitons just give me short answers." After what seemed like forever the cops finally came.
I rolled down my window and she asked if everyone was okay and if we could get out of the car. I told her yes and started to open my door. She told me that I would just need to grab what I could for now and that we needed to get going. She also said "I can only take 2 of you!" My thought was well what two do you think you are going to take? I'm not leaving Easton or Spencer behind and good luck getting my boys to go with you without me! Luckily another cop drove up to help get us out. After I got both boys out of the car the second cop said we could all sit in the back of the first cop car. She said we didn't have time for carseats and that she was just going to take us to Perkins. While we drove she drilled me about why I was out on the road, where was I going and didn't I see other cars in the ditch. The more she lectured me the more I cried. What I almost said was "please stop lecturing me I feel bad enough as it is. Do you honestly think I wanted this to happen?" Once we got to the parking lot next to Perkins she started asking me all kinds of questions about the accident. She asked me about our insurance and honestly my mind was blank. I asked if I could call for help she said yes and to just take a deep breath and try to calm down. After she was done with the questions she said normally I would give you a ticket but I'm just too busy today so I guess it's your lucky day. What does she mean my lucky day? I just rolled my car! I said thanks but I didn't feel very lucky. The boys and I then walked to Perkins where we waited for my family to show up.
Once inside of Perkins a waitress asked if we were okay. There I was (I hadn't showerd yet and had been crying and still was with two boys and no way of going anywhere). I told her I had just been in an accident and that I was waiting for my family to come. She felt awful and asked Spencer if she could get him some milk while we waited. Once my dad got there I felt safer and better already. I took Spencer to the bathroom and a lady that was eating in the resturant asked me if I was alright or did I need any help. She thought I had been left or ran away and was stuck at Perkins. I told her I was okay and that we had been in an accident but thanks for asking. Finally my mom showed up and my dad left to meet Ryan at my car. They grabbed pretty much everything out of my car that they could not knowing when we would see it again. While we waited for them to come back, Perkins bought us lunch. It's in moments like these that you realize there really are nice people out there willing to help strangers.
In all that was going on it slipped my mind that I was pregnant and I should probably get checked out to make sure everything was okay with the baby. The boys seemed fine and weren't crying or hurt anywhere so I didn't feel that they needed to be checked out. I said I would feel better if I went to Luther to get checked. Once we got to the ER it was my friend Sarah that was my nurse in the ER. I was so happy to see she would be taking care of me as I was a mess! I just kept replaying in my head the worst possible outcome. The doctor came in and looked me over. He used a small ultrasound machine and we were able to see the baby moving around inside along with a heartbeat. He told me that the baby is still pretty low in my pelvis and well protected. Sarah also used the doppler and we heard the heartbeat beating 168 beats per minute. All looked fine.
They ended up totalling my car and so now I will be getting that mini van sooner then I thought. In this awful situation there were so many things that could have gone wrong that didn't. I feel that we had a few angels looking out for us that day. I've almost had to detach myself from the situation or the guilt would drive me crazy. I don't like to stop and think about all the what could have beens instead I want to focus on the fact that the boys and I are okay and we are thankful for the support of our family and friends who have been there for us.
A lot of people have asked how the boys have adjusted and they seem to be doing okay. That day Spencer had a lot of questions and kept talking about different parts of the day. He woke up the next morning still talking about how my car is broken. I'm driving my mom's car right now so he knows there's a change. I called daycare to see how he was doing and they said he talked about it at one point but seemed to be doing alright. With Easton it's hard to tell. I tried touching him all over to see if he was hurt anywhere but seemed to be fine.
As if our week wasn't already bad, Easton still hadn't seem to return to his normal self since he had been sick last week. He's been screaming more (he's a big tantrum thrower these days). He will scream when putting him down at night or changing his diaper. I started to worry that maybe something did happen in the accident or maybe he was still sick and not getting better. I called and talked to his teachers to see if they had noticed the same things I had. They agreed that he just wasn't acting like his normal self these days. So I made an appointment for Friday.
The doctor checkd him out and confirmed that this ear was still infected and red (he's been on antibiotics for 6 days) she also took a long time listening to his lungs to rule out pneumonia and said it was probably more of an upper respiritory thing. So she switched his antibiotics.
The below pictures were taken the night of the accident. Talk about a range of emotions that day. Spencer kept saying, "he's wearing his pajamas." Little does Spencer know we have the same picture of him in the tub with his pajamas.
He may not be feeling 100% but he's still goofy! I guess he wasn't done with bath time.
This weekend was spent recovering. Easton is still pretty sick with a cough and cold. I'm hoping the new antibiotics will kick in soon. Spencer finally seems to be back to his normal self. This new year has already been pretty rough on us. I'm ready for the month of January to be over. Hopefully Easton will be back to 100% for his birthday! I can't believe he will be 1 in 10 days!Making and obsticle course in the kitchen. Obviously they were playing with dad.
No comments:
Post a Comment